1). Are there separate categories of awards that will be provided at the National No2H8 Crime Awards 2019?
There are a number of categories where awards to upstanders will be provided on. These include:
- Young Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to a young person (between the ages 13 and 25) who has stood up against hate crime and prejudice at their University/School or within their local community. Their courage and tenacity is to be celebrated and they are to be great role models for young people around the country.
- Media Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to a journalist, editor or social commentator who has actively stood up against prejudice, intolerance and bigotry. Given that we have seen media commentary pieces against people with disabilities, as well as with trans-communities, this award, it is hoped, will inspire others to be active in the media world against lazy stereotypes which dehumanize whole sections of communities.
- Community Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to a community activist who has stood up for, campaigned, fundraised or advocated for victims of hate incidents or hate crimes.
- Parliamentary Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to a Member of the House of Lords, House of Commons, councillor or Assembly Member who has made a significant difference to the field of hate crime work or who has successfully championed a case or issue around hate crimes.
- Local Authority Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to a local authority who has implemented or undertaken extensive work on tackling hate, intolerance and bigotry. It may also be provided to a leading councillor who has set the way for the local authority in terms of strategic direction setting in order to tackle hate crimes in their local area.
- Law Enforcement Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to a force, police and crime commissioner or officer who has being pro-actively re-enforcing the need for members of the public to report in hate crimes and incidents and has shown significant commitment and dedication in a case or cases that have involved investigating hate crime/s.
- Social Research Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to an individual or company whom has had a positive effect in tackling and raising significant awareness of Hate crimes in the UK.
- Lifetime Achievement Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to an Individual who has created a long-term goal battling against discrimination and hate crimes and succeeded.
- Business Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to an organisation, which has made a significant impact on countering intolerance, hate and bigotry.
- Sports Upstander Award 2019: This will be awarded to a sportsperson who has had a substantial effect on countering intolerance, hate and bigotry.
- And two Special Awards, Tell Mama and Jo Cox
2). Can members of the public nominate individuals, organisations or groups for each of these categories?
- You may nominate individuals, organisations or groups for as many awards as you like, unless the award specifically mentions that it is an award for an organisation or individual.
- You may only nominate one person or organisation per award, and are not permitted to vote for yourself on this occasion.
- You will be as impartial and accurate as you can at the time of submission. Being related to someone you nominate does not exclude you from making the nomination and the main thing is to provide as much information about the person being nominated as possible.
- Once your nomination is reviewed by our project team, your nomination will only be notified if he/she is approved to be nominated for the relevant award. Nominees must ensure that they can attend the National NO2H8 Crime Awards ceremony that will be taking place in London. The venue will be confirmed to successful nominees.
Please see full Terms and Conditions here
Please make your nomination here
3) Is there a judging panel for the awards?
- There will be a panel, members to be confirmed.
4) Can I attend the National No2H8 Crime Awards 2019?
- Yes of course, please fill in the form on the Contact Us page.